Position: Programme Finance Associate, Abuja, Nigeria.
Salary: NGN 150,000 per month (gross salary)
Duration: Initial six months contract, renewable subject to performance.
About Step Up Nigeria
Step Up Nigeria is a creative team building bridges for improved governance to tackle corruption and improve service delivery. Our vision is that Nigerias socio-economic development is not held back by corruption and poor governance. Our mission is to improve citizen engagement in tackling corruption and in the delivery of public goods and services.
We stimulate public awareness on topical issues in the area of tackling corruption and improving the delivery of public goods and services. We help to create spaces for citizen engagement in the fight against corruption through the creation of accountability mechanisms such as feedback platforms or anti-corruption reporting mechanisms. We educate Nigerians on the ills of corruption and how to tackle corruption. We provide linkages between government and citizens to work collaboratively in tackling corruption and service delivery issues.
We work in the following ways: Using social accountability actions and mechanisms to tackle corruption and improve service delivery. Conducting evidence-based research to help inform the discourse on improving transparency and accountability. Communicating with impact to influence good governance processes.
Purpose of the job
The Programme Finance Associate will contribute to financial management and programme implementation including providing necessary operational, administrative and programmatic support.
Key Functions of the Role
Provide financial, technical and administrative support to support the implementation of Step Up Nigeria programmes in Nigeria.
The Programme Finance Associate has the dual responsibilities of supporting the program team and maintaining proper financial records to ensure the successful implementation of projects. Under the supervision of the Programme Director, the Programme Finance Associate will coordinate and manage key activities as assigned and support other daily administrative activities by working closely with other Programme Associates.
More specifically, the job will involve the following:
1. Financial Management
- Prepare financial reports (monthly, quarterly and annual) to ensure compliance with donor requirements and Step Up Nigerias operations.
- Create a system to ensure effective and transparent accounting, payments and banking, payroll, budgeting, financial reporting, and grant financial management and compliance.
- Supervise team to manage compliance with donor regulations in accordance with Step Up Nigerias internal policies and procedures.
- Ensure utilization of the latest accounting and financial software in providing complete financial services as required by Step Up Nigerias program and operations.
- Provide financial information to enable the programme team to make timely project and operating decisions.
- Ensure adequate internal controls are in place to avoid or mitigate risks in compliance with laws, regulations, donor requirements and internal policies and procedures.
- Ensuring adherence to the compliance procedures for grants and voucher related activities, the review, and analysis of records, reports, financial statements.
- Implementation of cost-saving and reduction strategies
- Review financial documents and reconcile all voucher related activities to the ledger on a monthly basis.
- Identify program transactions that require further supporting documents as necessary.
- Support all audit processes and the preparation of monthly, quarterly and annual financial reports in response to audit inquiries.
- Provide administrative support in monitoring budget preparation and the finances of programmes/projects.
2. Project Management
- Lead on managing specific projects as assigned.
- Support the preparation of programme work plans, budgets, proposals, writing reports, conducting surveys, designing strategies for interventions, and developing questionnaires.
- Undertake logistical, administrative and financial arrangements for organization for meetings, workshops, events, and missions as required.
- Make travel arrangements for the Programme Team, including travel requisitions and claims;
- Prepare public information materials and briefing packets; assemble briefing materials and prepare power-point and other presentations;
- Identify sources and gather and compile data and information for the preparation of documents, guidelines, speeches and position papers.
- Conduct general administrative functions such as managing office imprest, managing database of relevant contacts for the organisation and keeping administrative records as required.
3. Resource Mobilization
- Compile and process information from donors and partners to various databases and documents.
- Identifying funding opportunities and develop proposals to secure funding for Step Up Nigerias activities.
4. Conducting Research: Conducting simple research on trending anti-corruption areas including media monitoring, conducting research to inform the development of policy briefs, conducting field research which may involve going to deprived communities.
5. Networking & Collaborating– Collaborating and networking with relevant stakeholders within civil society, government, and the private sector developing relevant partnerships for Step Up Nigeria, representing the Programme Director in meetings etc.
Key Competencies Required:
- Good knowledge of programme management.
- Ability to administer and execute administrative processes and transactions.
- Ability to create, edit and present information in clear formats.
- Ability to manage data, documents and correspondence.
- Strong financial and budgeting skills.
- Strong communication- including good writing and presentation skills.
- Ability to work well with a diverse group of partners.
- Ability to deliver at pace and meet deadlines.
- A track record of proactive leadership.
- Ability to work and deliver objectives with limited supervision.
- Good ICT skills including strong proficiency in excel, word and powerpoint
Education, Experience and Skills:
- A Bachelors Degree in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration or any relevant equivalent degree.
- ICAN or ACCA qualification will be an added advantage.
- Minimum of three years professional experience in either finance, accounting, grants management – ideally with at least two years with an International NGO.
- Ability to understand and implement government tax laws.
- Proven knowledge of computerized systems and demonstrable experience of working with computerized accounting packages and spreadsheets.
- Excellent organization skills and ability to adjust to dynamic situations while maintaining focus on delivery and follow-through.
- Good analytical and conceptual thinking skills with ability to identify and resolve problems and suggest improvements.
This post is a full-time position based in Abuja, Nigeria.
How to apply: Applicants should send a copy of their recent CV along with a cover letter (no more than 500 words) to the email address below firstname.lastname@example.org before 4pm WAT on Friday 18 October, 2019. Shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview shortly afterward.
4 Replies to “External Vacancy: Programme Finance Associate (Abuja)”
Can a person apply even if his experience is above the specified requirements but has passion for the ideal of stepup Nigeria.
Yes, such a person can still go-ahead to apply.
How many years is years is the project and who is the funder?
This information will be shared with you if you scale through the recruitment process.